contact me.

comments? questions or concerns? email me!


thisgirlisadreamer@yahoo.com


dreamer.

alexandria.

our lives begin to end the day we're silent about things that matter.
-Dr. MLK

Soulfood.


Monday, April 6, 2009

A March for Justice...

I have never seen or experienced something as beautiful and fulfilling as I did this past Saturday. It was a beautiful sunny morning as I approached the corner of Broadway and Olympic. With my camcorder in tow and a camera in hand I was ready to document something so meaningful : my people excercising their right to be heard. It was a flag and sign frenzy.


As we turned the corner, we saw hundreds of people gathered, united and ready to march. Bright colors took over as flags from different countries flowed in the air. People of all ages, colors, and even dogs were out to show their support. I can't even begin to explain the excitement I felt to be there and take part of something so meaningful and necessary as we take on a very important year. This is the time to make something happen for so many people who day to day have to live in the shadows.




I was especially thrilled to see young students come out and make their voices heard as well. "Educacion y no deportacion" (education not deportation) was what they yelled as they marched, which is something that is ever so present today. Family separation, gifted students being sent back "home" to a place they barely know. It gives me so much satisfaction to see that at such a young age, these kids are coming out and taking a stand and making it happen!


The march was very calm and beautiful. No incidents took place and the police behaved. There were a couple of opposing groups trying to provoke the crowd but they weren't succesful as we were out there on a mission and not to fall into their vicious traps.

As we made our way down Broadway, more and more people joined, of all races including Asians, Anglos, and African Americans! It was beautiful to see such unity and support of a common human race. By the time we got to the convention center it was a multitude of energetic and inspired people. I have to say this was by far one of the most beautiful experiences in my 24 years of life! Thank you to all of those who made it out!


P.S. A short documentary of the event will be soon posted. Keep checking in for that!

XOXO

Photography courtesy of my boyfriend! Thank you love!

2 comments:

El Random Hero said...

great pictures, I was at work that day and couldn't make it to that one or the Chavez march either :-(

Tha BossMack TopSoil said...

Beautiful Pics

Post a Comment

Blogger Template | Make Money From Blog